Each year, six hundred young people under 35 die from sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) – and 270 of these will be children in schools. Tragically, some of these deaths could have been prevented if the victims had received defibrillation and CPR treatment quickly enough.

Clearly, SCA is an issue that schools and colleges need to address. And by far the most effective way to do so is to install an AED (automated external defibrillator) in an easily accessible place, and raise awareness amongst staff and pupils.

Many of us would hesitate to deliver a therapeutic shock to a child in an emergency, but in reality modern AEDs are Continue reading

The number of HSE prosecutions filed under “serious wrongdoing” has more than doubled in the last three years according to figures obtained by compliance specialists Cerico.

The branch of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) responsible for complex cases in England and Wales handled 52 prosecutions this year compared to 24 prosecutions in the previous three years. It was also found that HSE has doubled its use of publicity orders, which require the prosecuted company to make public the details of its offence and any penalties ordered against them.

More than just reputation is at stake for those companies found to be slacking in their compliance. It is common knowledge that a breach of health and safety law is a criminal offence, but what isn’t as well-known is the extent to which organisations can now be fined for said breaches. Fines between £100,00 Continue reading

The importance of both suitable CPR training and keeping a defibrillator on-site came to light at a school in York recently when 15-year-old pupil Alex suffered a cardiac arrest during a PE lesson.

Fulford school matron Erica Melsom, along with PE teacher Shona Jagger, came rushing to Alex’s aid after he collapsed and, following the instructions on the defibrillator, managed to save his life. If it had not been for the on-site defibrillator or the CPR training they received they would not have “been able to save him” they said.

Alex, who said he had a dizzy spell before fainting, praised the “amazing” staff for their quick and thorough response. As Alex’s story shows, it is crucial for people to Continue reading